PCI Professional (PCIP) certification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCI Professional (PCIP) certification

With all this virus downtime I've been considering a few certs, and it seems like adding some PCI stars to my resume might be worthwhile. This PCIP cert (https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org..._qualification) is this:

The Payment Card Industry Professional is an individual, entry-level qualification in payment security information and provides you with the tools to help your organization build a secure payment environment. Becoming a PCIP demonstrates a level of understanding that can provide a strong foundation for a career in the payments security industry. This renewable career qualification is not affected by changes in employment assignments and stays in effect as long as the individual continues to meet requirements. This three-year credential also provides a great foundation for other PCI qualifications.
    I did check and you do not need to be a QSA or have any other PCI certs to get the PCIP.

Anybody out there have this cert? Would like to pick your brain on it.
    Brian Johnson
    7 Minute Security
    Podcaster | Security Consultant

No one? Bummer, I'm curious about this too.

Comment

0dds3c I think I may just sign up. I'm having such a hard time staying focused on anything right now, I feel like a cert would be something I could burn some of my nervous energy on.
      Brian Johnson
      7 Minute Security

Comment

Ok so just to keep a thread going on this, I just finished the first step which is to send in a registration. You have to submit some basic info (name/address/email/title/etc.), and now I just wait, I guess:

Thank you for registering for the PCI Professional program. We will keep you updated throughout the qualification journey via email. Please let me know if you have any questions.
        Brian Johnson
        7 Minute Security

Comment

Interesting, I think I will do the same.

I wonder how much the exam costs and when a testing center will be open again.

Comment

Hey 0dds3c check out the attached image (taken from https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org...ation#tabs-top)

Click image for larger version

Name:	pcip.PNG
Views:	42
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	127

Not sure what your test centers are like in your area, but here in MN, Pearson is one of the big ones. They state:

We know you're worried about rescheduling your exam. Due to COVID-19 scheduling changes, our customer service wait-times are longer than usual right now. We appreciate your patience as we work to help you and other candidates. In the meantime, for information on rescheduling, refunds, and other impacts to candidates, please check out our FAQs.
            They have a country-specific exam status page here: https://home.pearsonvue.com/coronavi...untry-specific. For the US, at the time of writing this post, they are looking at rescheduling exams starting April 16.

If I was a betting man I'd say they're gonna push this date out.
            Brian Johnson
            7 Minute Security

Comment

Thanks, I have no idea how I missed that table earlier.

Comment

Just to keep the thread going, I think I applied for the first step in the process on March 30th, and I just got the acceptance. I hopped in thinking "Cool, gonna drop a credit card and start studying for this bad boy!" But nope...gotta e-sign about 11 things, upload a resume and more. Ugh. Will pick this up on Monday.
                Brian Johnson
                7 Minute Security

Comment

Ok so sorry, my last comment was a slight exaggeration. You only have to e-sign one thing, upload a resume and fill out a few more fields with info. Whole thing took 5 minutes. I just submitted....I'm hoping I get approved by the weekend so I can start this bad boy!
                  Brian Johnson
                  7 Minute Security

Comment

I am really curious to see how this test stacks up against others you've completed. Only time will tell!

Comment

Hopefully less brutal than OSCP :-)

And just moments ago I got confirmation I'm on to the next step!

Click image for larger version

Name:	pcip-approved.PNG
Views:	33
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	171

I'll say so far I think this is the longest application process I've been through to even start studying for a certification. Sigh.
                      Attached Files
                      Brian Johnson
                      7 Minute Security

Comment

OMG yes, I have that one on my todo list and the entire exam process seems daunting.

Since this one is all multiple choice (and only 75Q) I wonder how it will compared to CISSP or any of the CompTIA exams. Looks like the training material provided is 6 hours...not too bad at all.

The suspense is killing me!!!

Comment

Yeah it seems like not too killer of a study/test process, but to even get STARTED to GET the materials is making me want to flip my desk. I just got an email moments ago saying my app was approved, and then they gave me an invoice for the $2,500. My choices are to submit via mail, fax or phone. They don't simply have a Web portal you can submit CC info to. Wow. Just wow. wow wow.
                          Brian Johnson
                          7 Minute Security

Comment

Ok so after trading some emails with my accountant, what I ended up doing is setting up the PCI council folks as a "contractor" in QuickBooks, complete with their bank account, routing number and EIN (this is all info they send you with the invoice). Now I'll pay them direct deposit and hopefully be able to ACTUALLY start digging into the course materials tomorrow. If the content is HALF as intense as the sign-up process, this'll be a real pulse-pounder!

Seriously though, am I the only person who thinks it's in-sane that you can't just sign up for a course all about credit card security...with...your...flipping...credit card?

Maybe I'm in for a shock! Maybe it'll be like "Chapter 1: why online CC payments are insecure."
                            Brian Johnson
                            7 Minute Security

Comment

OK, FINALLY got my payment accepted yesterday and began the training last night. So far so good. Mostly digging into the various alphabet soup of acronymns related to PCI and talking about high-level ways the attackers grab our CC digits and sell them for profits on the darker parts of the Internet.

Oh, also, I didn't read the fine print until now about how you have 90 days from start/finish to study the materials and take the test. Hopefully we're out of quarantine by then!
                              Last edited by 7MinSec; 04-17-2020, 09:27 AM. Reason: Added the bit about 90-day time limit
                              Brian Johnson
                              7 Minute Security

Comment

Working...
                              X