Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Javali
    replied
    Same Pi with Pi-Hole. Did you get Grafana running? The 1st time I checked Grafana, I tough it was not working because I had no data. I ran the speedtest.py script and got the data in Grafana.

This is my dashboard:
    Last edited by Javali; 05-26-2020, 01:33 PM. Reason: Adding URL to image

Leave a comment:

• 7MinSec
    replied
    Hiya Javali I got the speed test CLI installed but didn't go through all the InfluxDB stuff. Sounds like you did. Does InfluxDB run fine on the same Pi with PiHole or did you set it up elsewhere?

Leave a comment:

• Javali
    replied
    Hey 7MinSec , my dashboard is up and running did you manage to do yours?
    If you know any other cool projects to run alongside pi-hole, please share

Leave a comment:

• 7MinSec
    replied
    This is super cool Javali I'm gonna give it a try!

Leave a comment:

• Javali
    replied
    Let me take this opportunity to drop this here:
    https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-...speed-monitor/
    It could be interesting to implement. I'll probably give it a try

Leave a comment:

• 7MinSec
    replied
    Right, I just wasn't sure if it it explicitly said "This block is from list X" - I think it just says Blocked by Gravity or something similar if it gets a hit on any list.

Leave a comment:

• Xoke
    replied
    Tools => Query Lists

Leave a comment:

• 7MinSec
    replied
    I'll have to tinker more with custom block lists. Will the pihole tell you in the query log which specific list blocked a thing? #lazyweb

Leave a comment:

• Xoke
    replied
    I have tried a bunch of blacklists, and whilst some are very cool for blocking everything, I found the wife didn't like some of them "I can't play my facebook game" etc.

I'm currently using https://dbl.oisd.nl/ for my blacklists. It's described as the 'wife / girlfriend friendly list' that blocks the bad stuff, but still allows _some_ things through so facebook isn't broken etc.

Leave a comment:

• 7MinSec
    replied
    This is all really helpful information. I was just in my Ubnt Dream Machine last night looking through notifications for the first time, and it's interesting to me that the logs are filled with instances of "Pi hole is having trouble resolving DNS requests." I think the "trouble" it's having is it is resolving things to 0.0.0.0 rather than a legit lookup problem, but I should probably check

Leave a comment:

• galoryber
    replied
    I think you're probably spot on, if DNS is still caching the blackholed address. Unfortunately, if you do an nslookup on some un-cached domain while you have two name servers setup, there is no guarantee that the PiHole will be the one that responds, and as a result, your client might cache a valid record and communicate around the PiHole.
    https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/why-...ns-server/3376
    Not a huge deal for my home network, so I just leave it as the primary and only have one DNS server internally, per their recommendations.
    I'd be curious to know if the OpenDNS blacklists compare in any way to the PiHole blacklists. Maybe certain domains would be blocked by both utilities.

Leave a comment:

• axl
    replied
    I know I'm a month late to the party, but I wanted to clarify that PiHole's blacklists are designed to resolve blacklisted domains to 0.0.0.0, meaning your client should not make any follow-on requests, since your PiHole is answering the query. There should be no need to set up a second PiHole, except for the sole reason of having high-availability.

Click image for larger version  Name:	pihole.png Views:	2 Size:	21.9 KB ID:	258

I have OpenDNS as my secondary DNS on every device, and I have never seen a request for anything on the Gravity blacklists. Now of course, blacklisted domains can still be visited if the resolution is still cached somewhere in the browser or on the client.
    Last edited by axl; 05-12-2020, 11:01 AM. Reason: grammar

Leave a comment:

• 7MinSec
    replied
    Hhaahah, you described how my brain has felt during stay-at-home time. The switch is on but the lights are off.

Leave a comment:

• Javali
    replied
    Originally posted by 7MinSec View Post
    Hehehhe best laid plans backfired on me. I got the two piholes setup, DISABLED a tertiary server, and all was fine and dandy....

...until I realized that both PIs were plugged into a power strip that was connected to an outlet controlled by a lightswitch, and the kids turned off the lights when they left the room.

No big deal. I did NOT spend a ton of time troubleshooting while Internet was down and did NOT forget that the tertiary DNS was disabled, in case you were wondering (he said sarcastically).

🤣

You can solve this with some smart lights, like Philips Hue. The light switch will always be on but the light will be off.

Leave a comment:

• 7MinSec
    replied
    Hehehhe best laid plans backfired on me. I got the two piholes setup, DISABLED a tertiary server, and all was fine and dandy....

...until I realized that both PIs were plugged into a power strip that was connected to an outlet controlled by a lightswitch, and the kids turned off the lights when they left the room.

No big deal. I did NOT spend a ton of time troubleshooting while Internet was down and did NOT forget that the tertiary DNS was disabled, in case you were wondering (he said sarcastically).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X